Sunday, October 18, 2009

Webquests October 18,2009

We are on our final week of webquests. I read some information by Tom March on webquests. He had lots of great ideas. He said the first part should engage the students and bring up the core attributes of the subject but also create cognitive dissonance in order to motivate students to investigate further. Then he said the students should be able to learn the basic nature of the subject and remember prior knowledge. Next he said they should gather information from current news, videos, maps, podcasts, and other sources. He said the webquests give cognitive scaffolding and give students an appetite for learning. He said they are on the computer anyway so if we don't teach them we are doing them a disservice. Mr. March said by giving students a rubric we give them ownership for what they are doing. When we have students participate on blogs, posts, and bookmark highlights their thinking becomes visible. Webquests can help students at an appropriate level. Students can acquire information and transform it into new understandings.

I think the things that Mr. March said are so true. We need to use this great information as we learn how to be teachers. I am doing my best now to learn more about computers so that I can navigate them and teach my students all I know about them. Hopefully, I can stay ahead of them!

In the future, I would like to use ideas like webquests to allow students to investigate because I know they will be more self-initiated when they can explore and find their own answers. It's true that students are using computers and technology anyway so we might as well direct them to learn, explore vital information, and expand their knowledge. I am excited for the future and know that we need to empower students to use technology to think of novel ideas that will make the world better place and expand the knowledge that we have. They are our future!!

I watched the movie called "Do You Believe in Me?" by Dalton Sherman. He was an amazing and motivating speaker for being so young. He asked if the audience believed in him and the other graduates. He told them how important teachers, principals, school support staff, and parents are to students. He let them know that sometimes they are the only ones who believe in students and what they can achieve. I know that teachers who believed in me made me feel valued and appreciated and made me want to become more. It is true that our support is so vital to our children, extended family, students, and all children in our lives. As a teacher I want to teach my students that they are capable, valuable, and loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment