Saturday, November 14, 2009

Field Work Week 2

I'm learning about how technology is used right now in classrooms. The 4th graders go to computer lab once a week where they learn how to type. It's good for them to learn how to type but they don't utilize the computers much to help them learn. If they get done early they can play a drawing game. The students also use CD's of books once a week with their guided reading books. They really enjoy this and I think it improves their comprehesion and pronounciation. When I was doing my technology interview I found out about UTIP which is a program which allows teachers to create tests to review core topics. When you put in the subject the program creates a test for you. The students take the test online and then the computer graphs how the students did on various questions and can even graph how subgroups performed on the test. Then the teacher knows what their focus needs to be. I'm excited to see how much fun the children are and the huge impact I can have to help them learn.

Right now I'm learning how underutilized technology is in the classroom and also how much students enjoy it. I am trying to use technology in my lesson plans. I use the computer to help plan lessons and we are using a video in our lesson plan on Monday. I am also assisting the students in using the CDs to listen to books and helping them find the right place to follow along in the book.

In the future I would like to use some of the things that are being used in my class such as books to listen to, overheads, and truly utilizing computers. I would schedule the computer lab for additional time to reinforce subjects that we are studying. I will also encourage students to do homework on the computer to do homework, blog, use webquests, and create things like powerpoints. I am REALLY excited about UTIP. I would definitely use this to fully prepare my students for end of year testing and to insure that subjects are thoroughly understood.

I watched a video on Teachertube called Think Before You Post. The video was very well made and I think it would hit home with students the fact that anything you post can spread to family, friends, and anyone. I think as much as children use computers they need to be aware of the ramifications of posting. The need to avoid posting personal information such as inappropriate pictures, their name, address, phone number, and what they are doing. They can't take back information that they've shared. I've also read that they need to be careful what they post about their family and friends because it could effect their parent's jobs, reputations, and their entire family.

No comments:

Post a Comment