Monday, September 6, 2010

Student needs September 6,2010

2a. What does the following phrase mean, and what do you think about it? "emotions trump learning."
I think this means that no matter what you do to teach children, unless they feel safe and acccepted they cannot truly learn. I think children must first be fed, have water, feel safe from other students physically and mentally, and feel accepted by the teacher. Otherwise, students will be thinking about what they need to do to survive and not what the teacher is teaching. I know I am more willing to participate when teachers acknowledge me and appreciate my comments. I am also more willing to share what I truly believe if a teacher says, "I don't care what your opinion is, I just want you to share what you believe and why." I have a neighbor boy who is overweight and has gotten into a lot of trouble in the past at school. He was telling me at the beginning of the school year that all the teachers were out to get him. He did remember though that one awesome teacher never yelled at him once his whole fourth grade year. That's the type of teacher that I'd like to be-that's remembered for being kind and respectful. I want to establish a classroom that is like a family where all feel safe and peaceful so that learning can take place.

1 comment:

  1. Being remembered for being kind and respectful would be an awesome legacy.

    ReplyDelete